$1 billion a year from Mexico to build the fence. A simple and ready source for the funds!
USE FEE ON MONEY TRANSFERS (REMITTANCES)
Mexicans in the U.S. transfer huge amounts of money to Mexico. These remittances pre-recession were in the area of $26 billion annually and climbing ! Now post-recession it’s some $25 billion and climbing again.
(1) Require a use fee on all remittances to Mexico.
(2) A 2% transfer fee would raise $500,000,000 annually !
(3) Exempt all persons who can show that they are legally here and/or that they have a paycheck with required deductions and that it is therefore not untaxed money.
SERVICE FEE ON CROSSINGS
Charge a service fee for all persons stopped crossing the border illegally.
(1) Some 300,000 plus persons are caught illegally crossing the border.
(2) $200 service fee would raise $60,000,000 plus annually !
(3) This is no more than the cost for a tourist visa extension request !
SERVICE FEE ON LEGAL BORDER CROSSINGS
Charge a use/service fee for all foreign nationals crossing the border at border crossings.
(1) Some 180,000,000 people crossed the border legally coming into the U.S. in 2015.
(2) $5 service fee on incoming crossing by foreign nationals would be pennies more than a mere cup of coffee.
(3) If half the crossings are of foreign nationals the service fee would raise $450,000,000 annually.
Then leave it to the Mexican government to determine if they want to reimburse their citizens.
And then Mexico can have its cake and eat it too: it does not pay the U.S. and saves face; but yet may pay its citizens back – FOR MEXICO’S USE OF THE UNITED STATES !!